Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wordless Wednesday :)

As some of you may know, Thew dabbles in photography (one of his favorite hobbies besides Socom) fairly often & I know I'm a little biased here, but I think he really has a gift.

When I was in my senior year of college, my mom took me on an amazing graduation trip Italy to visit my awesome Aunt Martha.  The three of us traveled about Milan, Florence, Venice, & Rome for days in awe, snapping as many pictures as we could in...just soaking up the sights, learning about the culture, & eating long, leisurely meals in places that were so beautiful it was hard to keep your jaw from dropping while you chewed.

A few months after we got back, we met for a reunion dinner at the "most, best" (inside joke) local Italian restaurant, which was a bad idea because at that point we knew what real Italian food tasted like & everything seemed a bit blander than before.  Anyway, as we looked at our pictures together, I realized that it looked like my Aunt had been on a completely separate vacation.  The angles & way she shot her pictures were truly beautiful & amazing.  I seriously held her and my pictures side by side & wondered if we really were visiting the same place each day.  She really has an eye and a gift of how to use her camera, the lighting, & manipulate other elements to make you see something in a new way.

That is what it's like taking pictures alongside Thew.  It's actually very intimidating for a competitive person like me, which, of course, he thinks is hilarious & uses to get a good laugh.  Every time we go somewhere where he brings his digital SLR & I bring his old point & shoot I get all excited to learn new tips from him.  I purposely put myself at angles I don't think he would & scroll through option upon option of flashes & lighting on the features to get that best shot that will rival his.  Alas, it is to no avail.  We speed home & download our pics & I sit in wonder about how we both went to the same place.  Seriously, he's pretty good.

So in honor of Wordless Wednesday (pretty creative, huh?), check it out...I know I tend to loose my speech over some of these shots  :)

No comments: