Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Movie Showing Just for the Fohn Fam (& a Stalker j/k...read on)

So while checking my phone after Vacation Bible School tonight I get a text from Matthew asking me when I'd be home and that I had a surprise at 9:30.  Wooo-who!  I was psyched...he's pretty good with surprises.

So I quickly say good-bye to everyone and hop in the car.  I come home to a just showered, cologne wearing (LOVE that Ralph Lauren Romance :) husband ready to whisk me off to see "Wall-E".  Sweet deal...we love Pixar Movies.  So the movie theater isn't too packed and when we walk into our specific theater, no one is there yet.  Then I remember it's a Sunday night and we're about 10 minutes early (c'mon, we're early every once in a while).  As the minutes pass, still no one comes in we remind ourselves that it is a kid's movie and most kids have been in bed for hours now.

So the previews start and we're thinking, how cool...are we really going to have the WHOLE theater to ourselves?!  Well, one guy walks in about one preview in, looks around and proceeds to walk a couple of rows behind us and sit.  At this point I'm thinking, oh man...this isn't as special and where is this joker sitting?  As soon as the word "joker" pops in my head I start thinking about the "Batman" preview from the previous night that Rachel, her friend Emily, and I watched and I start getting a little freaked.  All the sudden, I'm hoping no scary previews come on so I can get the image of Heath Leger doing an awesome job playing that psycho joker (who happens to be holding a knife in almost every scene) out of my head.  Wait, a knife...where did that weirdo who came to the movie by himself go?  Has this ever happened before..."young couple stabbed to death in late-night theater showing of 'Wall-E'...the headlines run through my head.  Thankfully some more previews distract me enough to prevent me from turning around and trying to find out where this guy is sitting.  After all, it's going to be completely obvious if I turn around, although the more I think about it, the more I want to do it.  Can I get away with acting like I'm digging in my purse beside me and then nonchalantly just turn enough to the side and peek?  Before these thought completely consume me, I see a flashing light of a cell phone and the guy descending the stairs out of the theater...whew!

Thew and I look at each other and simultaneously say "weirdo" and nervously snicker, a bit relieved that we're now the only ones in the theater.

So the ENTIRE rest of the movie, no one even walked in!  How cool!  I felt like a movie star whose husband rented out the entire theater so we wouldn't be bothered while we enjoyed ourselves.  We propped out feet up on the seats, leaned back, and snuggled a bit, relishing in our pseudo wealthy feeling of having the means to rent out our own theater.  So fun  :)  Second time in a little over a week that God has let me enjoy something with almost complete isolation (see last Monday's first blog post), only this time it was with my favorite person  :)  And on top of that, a really cute movie...it will definitely be sitting on our movie shelf when it comes out on DVD.  Although, I do have to say I did have to snap myself back to reality quite a lot while watching this.  I kept thinking that it was ridiculous to think a computer-generated robot has feelings and here I am constantly leaning over to Thew saying, "how cute!" when Wall-E talks or droops his eyes or shivers.  Ridunculous, right?  All well, it was cute!  And the PE Teachers in us loved how all the people in the movie are morbidly obese and detached because in the Pixar-minded future, we'll have the technology to have hover machines that do our traveling for us, so much so that we have to learn how to walk again...a really good wake up call to our un-healthy nation.

That's all for now, signing off with champagne somethings and caviar dreams (or whatever Robin Leach used to say at the end of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"...gotta love the 80's (do you think this theater experience got to my head...hehe  :)

No comments: