Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Pencil Test...duh, duh, DAAA! Uh-oh!

So being the skeptic that I am, when Di told me about the Pencil Test, blogged about, and then strongly urged everyone she knew to try it, I was like "yeah, right...that thing does NOT work!  The person who's holding that pencil is making it sway the way they want to.  There's so many chances for error...yada, yada, yada."

For those of you who don't know, it's an experiment involving looping about 3 inches of sting to a needle and then pushing that needle into the eraser of an un-used pencil.  You place the pencil over your wrist, hold the string, and wait.  The pencil will start to sway back and forth the length of your arm (boy) or back and forth across your arm, like a watchband (girl).  Apparently, the pencil stops swaying and will do tiny circles and then begin to sway again to indicate another child.  Then it will stop all-together to indicate the test is finished.  Of course, this is where I was extremely skeptical (did I mention that yet?)...how can the pencil just stop?  But it actually did...all 7 times we tested just the two of us!

Well, my grandmother and I were hanging out today down at they're farm (catching up on my blog-stalking) and low and behold, Di makes another post about The Pencil Test.  So we decided to try it out.  Here's when the duh, duh, DAAA comes in (insert a maniacal shout and hearty giggle from Cassie).

The Results...(I feel like this is a remark of impending doom...just kidding, it's all just for fun)...


Boy  -  Girl  -  Girl  -  Boy  -  BOY     (Insert, big UH-OH!)


Goodness gracious, Pencil Test!  For real?!  I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE kids and want a bunch...but FIVE?!  For serious?

Now don't get me wrong, I completely realize this is just for fun, and I refuse to believe that something like this could actually predict the gender, birth order, and number of children that Matt and I will have, even if Di does have 8 examples of cases when it was correct.

So, because I am THAT skeptic girl, I did it 3 more times...SAME Result (insert HUGH UH-OH)!

Okay, whatever, stupid Pencil Test!  I'll show you!  I'm going to try you out on my grandmother!

Girl  -  Boy  -  Boy  -  Girl

Fine, Pencil Test...you were right that time...let's try it another 2 times!  Ha, we'll get you now!

Ummm, same results two more times!  What?!

Anyway, again to reiterate...I know this is just a fun thing to do, but it will be interesting if this thing proves right.  Only time will tell...

No comments: